Sound off trooper!!! Open discussion, let's talk about anything and everything.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
By far my worst plane to fly. What do I need to know different to play the strengths on this thing?
It does take some time to get used to no cannons. First off get APCR even if you are working on that pilot for HE. I makes it a lot easier to down planes. What I found works for me is to instead of rolling sideways to shoot at planes strafe in that direction somewhat level. I gives your six MGs a wider pattern to hit them. I defiantly is not easy without big cannons like the rest of the medium fighters but it is doable and takes practice. I do hope RETO makes multiple medium planes for each faction like tanks, but have some with and without cannons. I will say that the P-40 is a fantastic anti personnel and vehicle plane.
P40 is IMO the weakest of the 3 mediums at least in the dogfighting department (Its still perfectly capable, it just lacks the ability to burst its damage as it has no cannon just the 50 cals) HE rounds are excellent for Infantry suppression (tho useless vs planes except para planes, even then they take a while) for example in 23 mins I did this :
Its a good plane its just more situational than the other two
Thanks guys.

Scout I was trying the strafe technique you mentioned. I am definitely noticing improvement. I did play a war battle with no other fighters and the ground support is AMAZING. I didn't even have HE.

With practice I am improving.

I also noticed that it is much easier to aim with the 3rd person camera. I by default always use the zoom. For the P-38 and the Owl it was pretty useful, but 3rd person makes it much easier to see where your rounds are going I think.
I respectfully made a suggestion to the powers that be:

https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/to ... -armament/
Thanks Guthrie I hope that comes into play sooner rather than later.
I didn't even know that was a thing. just goes to show how much I play flight games
If only they picked a plane that was, you know.. actually used extensively by the American air forces in Europe.

Woody051 wrote: If only they picked a plane that was, you know.. actually used extensively by the American air forces in Europe.

yeah like to P-51 :(
Woody051 wrote: If only they picked a plane that was, you know.. actually used extensively by the American air forces in Europe.

That's why Im always worried that, if they ever add Brits into this game, they will add Hawker Typhoon into RAF instead of Spitfire MkXII :D

Anyway, back to P40, considering P38 is the best heavy fighter at this stage, I do like to see P40 get some buff but not too much. I just like to see the AP round get more penetration and 6 .50 cals having much better rate of fire.
Guthrie wrote: Image

scoutsniper wrote:

yeah like to P-51 :(

RoyalScotsRMWayne wrote:

That's why Im always worried that, if they ever add Brits into this game, they will add Hawker Typhoon into RAF instead of Spitfire MkXII :D

Anyway, back to P40, considering P38 is the best heavy fighter at this stage, I do like to see P40 get some buff but not too much. I just like to see the AP round get more penetration and 6 .50 cals having much better rate of fire.

Yuuup https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/to ... -tiers-20/
woody that's a lot of planes
Oy. That IS a lot of planes.

Some of the U.S. planes suggested seem rather odd to me.

Grumman F3F

Retired from front line use in 1941 and doubtful it would be used in Europe even if it wasn't.

Brewster F2A Buffalo

I can only see this as the B-239 variant if the Finns are represented

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

It's already in the game, though I'm not entirely sure why. It was used in the African campaign and in the MTO and Pacific Theater but not really in Europe.

Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

This was an aircraft plagued with design flaws and though one unit was formed it was disbanded before the U.S. entered the war.

Lockheed P-38 Lightning

Again, it's in game but this is really a Pacific, Africa, MTO bird.

Douglas A-20 Havoc

I can only see this as a 'lend-lease' aircraft in British or Soviet markings and even then it would have a limited role. Besides, I would only add bombers if the fighter and recon bombing ability is nerfed.

Douglas O-43

I find no reference of this plane being used in any active theater during WWII (only pobbible use with the National Guard at that time).

Douglas O-46

Again, no record of any use in Europe. there is record of some being destroyed in the Philippines.

Curtiss O-52 Owl

In game but, again, a mystery to me. The U.S. Army Air corps deemed this aircraft unworthy of use overseas but sold a few as lend-lease to the Soviets (10 accepted into service).

Northrop A-17

Only really used as coastal (U.S.) patrol during WWII and retired completely by '44.

A-24 Banshee (SBD Dauntless)

The variant made for the USAAC (fifty-two) never saw service in Europe. The Navy variant didn't, either.

:?:
H&G stopped really caring about historical accuracy after they gave us camouflage uniforms. I'm not against it but, when I started palying, it was much more a realistic game. quite a few tanks on all sides didn't see much real action either, but I don't think Reto listens as much as they used to. :(
17 posts Page 1 of 2