#&^%!@$ HELP!!!!!! Having trouble with something technical? Contact the Allied Airborne Army tech support.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,

As some of you know, I'm planning to get me a new rig. My old game laptop just can't cope anymore with the games I like to play, especially HnG. :(

So, I was planning to get me this loadout, you guys got any comments/remarks? Just feel free to correct me if you see something bad.

Side notes: I'm kinda limited in the budget but the SSD is a must-have.
No hdd needed, I have a 2TB external hdd for movies and stuff.

MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G
Intel Core i5 4440
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V
MSI B85M-E33
Arctic Cooling Fusion 550R
Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250 gb
Win 8.1 64-bit OEM
case: Sharkoon VS3-S
2 fans (out+in) Arctic Cooling ARCTIC F8

Hi Rosi

Your config is very decent. CPU is almost same like 3570 so it is good choice

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/424/Intel_Core_i5_i5-3570_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4440.html

Maybe you should consider Nvidia GPU, something like GTX760 or GTX770 instead of AMD. Nvidia is much better choice for HnG

I had Sharkoon case and it is very well made but I more prefer Corsair cases. If you want silent PC then Corsair 550D is way to go.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S - best Noise/Cooling performance

I have checked RAM @ Crucial site and appears it is compatible with your motherboard

Indeed it should be a good setup. Starting with Intel CPU is the way to go and I'd congratulate everyone doing so and did congratulate myself (and still am) when after many years made the change from AMD CPU's to Intel ones. Yes, AMD might be 'more bang for buck', but for 2/3 of price to that compared of Intel's you might only get 1/2 the service life you'd get with Intel (and I don't mean that AMD CPU's just break down. You just might hit a point of insufficient performance a lot faster).
At least that's how I see the situation when comparing these two CPU providers so everything regarding the discussion here are just my opinions :)

SSD/HDD

Consider buying an additional HDD for your games and other stuff, unless your external one can be used for storing and playing the games from, which I doubt.
Using an SSD is astronomy of some sort, there's almost witchcraft involved (if following the communities debating about SSD usage) and lots of information that you should consider revising before actually taking an SSD to use.

Common understanding is that the less use an SSD gets during its lifetime is better. Lot of read/write events will shorten the lifetime of the SSD considerably, so it is suggested to have as few programs on your SSD as possible: the most optimal situation would be that you have only an operating system on the SSD and nothing else. Even using Firefox browser from SSD is not encouraged, since Firefox is caching a lot of information by default to its directory on C: drive, which produces a lot of read/write events.

Take a look at this thread: Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs.
There's a lot to cover, but you'll do more than good with that one particular guide to setup your system for SSD.

RAM

I'd suggest to up the amount of RAM to 12Gb if you're going to turn your H&G HC-mode on once again (with how many accounts open at the same time?) after getting the setup done. I'm occasionally facing "Your computer is low on memory" notifications from Win 7 (got 8Gb RAM installed) with three accounts open and the game running at the same time. Now I'm not sure if that has something to do with my custom memory settings on Firefox, so I'd like to hear how everyone else is doing with their PCs when using multiple accounts at the same time on the campaign map and also playing with one of them.

I'd also suggest taking a look what nVidia has to offer from their product range. As an avid ATI (HD Radeons) user I'd still think of getting an nVidia GPU someday. You actually might get as good performance with lower tier GPU from nVidia than with a higher tier GPU that's based on AMD.

No possibility anymore to get hands on a copy of Windows 7? Isn't Windows 8 the "every second" operating system from Microsoft that isn't just good at all no matter how you try to put it in to perspective.

I disagree about SSD/HD

I have been using Intel 520 SSD for past 18 months as primary drive and it is running flawlessly. I would never again have HD as my primary drive.
Anssi, take a look at following link:

http://techreport.com/review/25681/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-testing-data-retention-at-300tb

Modern SSD drives can endure awful lot of writes without any issues. Naturally, SSD drive must be configured properly. I have disabled: prefetch, superfetch, scheduled defragmentation, drive indexing and swap file.

One more note to Rosiema. If you decide to purchase SSD which I absolutely approve, then you will need to disable Swap File which will lead to higher memory usage so maybe you should consider to get 16GB RAM.
Since MSI B85M-E33 is M-ATX MB and it has only 2 memory slots then you need to get 2x8 GB module.

This Crucial Module is certified for your MB:
16GB kit (8GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module

Part Number: BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
Module Size: 16GB kit (8GBx2)
Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • 9-9-9-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 1024Meg x 64 •

Thx for the replies guys.

@ Asmo, I only got 3 accounts (2 borrowed) but play with 1 only. The other ones are just for moving at's once to harvest some WF's.

edit: yes, I can still get win 7. But I think I'll get 8.1, it's new, but not all new things are bad (except finding out the globe is round instead of flat :P )

@ Idle thx for the 'disable swap file' advice. I noticed this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... 911-4.html

By the way, I focus on getting more FPS in HnG, going from 8gb to 16gb ram will cost me some eur 50 extra. Does that really gives me that more FPS?

P.s. Idle, thx for the heads up, i have been too long out of hardware land.
Got this one instread : ASUS B85M-G (C2), 4 slots, so I can do 4x4gb later.

According to one Corsair engineer it is not advisable to mix DDR3 RAM even if you have same memory modules (same specs, same model)

Sometimes unpaired DDR3 memory modules simply don't work together.

I had 6GB Corsair RAM on my old rig and I wanted to upgrade it to 12 GB. After some time and reading several articles I have realized it is not good idea so I ditched my old ram and got new one.

I want to make myself more clear about this DDR3 behavior. You should never buy 2 separate memory kits and combine them. Always buy single kit because it is tested and certified and you will never have any kind of memory issues.

8GB kit (2x4) + 8GB kit (2x4) - never do this
16GB kit (4x4) - correct purchase
16GB kit (2x8) - correct purchase

Rosi, if you want to change MB, then check out on Crucial site is this MB certified for RAM you want to buy

IdleCleese wrote: I disagree about SSD/HD

I have been using Intel 520 SSD for past 18 months as primary drive and it is running flawlessly. I would never again have HD as my primary drive.

I wouldn't either have an HDD instead of SSD and wasn't implying I was in any way against going for one.
It is also good to see that at least the more later models of SSDs are showing their true capabilities according to those endurance tests you linked.
My information is based on an SSD that I took to use 24 months ago and the current 'knowledge' I hold stems from that period.

IdleCleese wrote: Anssi, take a look at following link:
I know you've been playing a lot more with Anssi, but that still doesn't make me be him :)

IdleCleese wrote: I have disabled: prefetch, superfetch, scheduled defragmentation, drive indexing and swap file.

These are the most recommended tweaks to do when starting to use an SSD, and that's a thorough tweak guide I linked in the earlier post that goes through what Idle said and many more. There's also a setup guide for SSDs using Windows 8 Operating system

@Rosi, having more RAM doesn't give you FPS boost in games, it gives you stability for the system you're running.
Like I earlier mentioned I'm starting to have stability problems like running low on RAM (can be over 7Gb in use out of the total of 8Gb) when using multiple accounts at the same time and playing battles with one of these accounts.
That actually isn't even related to Firefox browser but the Adobe Flash Player the campaign map is produced with. Now that is a solution patched together with bubblegum that Reto should really get rid of.

Otherwise you'll do more than fine with 8Gb of RAM when gaming and with the regular use of PC.

Hey guys,

I was sniffing around at the 2nd hand sale/buy section at local pc websites and made a deal with a guy (30 minutes drive) and got this loadout for about the same price as the loadout I was planning to buy new. :lol:

He has the receipts and all parts still have warranty.
ETA: next weekend :P

I5 2500k
Maximus IV Gene-Z GEN3
Mushkin Redline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000 CL9
Point of View GTX 680 2GB <- OH YEAH BABY
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ, 1TB
OCZ Agility 3 60GB <- YES!, a SSD as boot drive and just enough room for some games (incl HnG)
Antec HCP-50
Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B4AP-14 (1450 rpm), 120mm
Corsair Hydro H80i
NZXT Phantom black
LG GH24NS95 black

rosiema wrote: Hey guys,

I was sniffing around at the 2nd hand sale/buy section at local pc websites and made a deal with a guy (30 minutes drive) and got this loadout for about the same price as the loadout I was planning to buy new. :lol:

He has the receipts and all parts still have warranty.
ETA: next weekend :P

I5 2500k
Maximus IV Gene-Z GEN3
Mushkin Redline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000 CL9
Point of View GTX 680 2GB <- OH YEAH BABY
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ, 1TB
OCZ Agility 3 60GB <- YES!, a SSD as boot drive and just enough room for some games (incl HnG)
Antec HCP-50
Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B4AP-14 (1450 rpm), 120mm
Corsair Hydro H80i
NZXT Phantom black
LG GH24NS95 black

Haha rosie, good one! :)

So, you can be expected to come back stronger than ever to kick some enemy butt! :gunz:

Word of advice on motherboards. STAY AWAY FROM ASROCK!
Boards are made cheaply and I tried plugging a video card into the slot and the slot clips on Mobo broke. The cpu fan sounds like a jet engine.
The ASROCK line of Mobos are f*ckin expensive and made like sh*t. I returned mine and exchanged for a ROG ASUS.

I see Maximus on your list,Im using Rampage IV. Made very well,and is stable. No problems running anything. Nice specs Rosiema :D
Enjoi

dembones1 wrote: Word of advice on motherboards. STAY AWAY FROM ASROCK!
Boards are made cheaply and I tried plugging a video card into the slot and the slot clips on Mobo broke. The cpu fan sounds like a jet engine.
The ASROCK line of Mobos are f*ckin expensive and made like sh*t. I returned mine and exchanged for a ROG ASUS.

I see Maximus on your list,Im using Rampage IV. Made very well,and is stable. No problems running anything. Nice specs Rosiema :D
Enjoi

I have ASROCK...
It burned my processor.

Asrock used to be owned by Asus, just sayin....

YES the funds needed for the new pc came in yesterday and the guy who sells his pc is going to clean it now from old programs and re-install windows .

I'm just a few days away seeing more then 4 fps :P

Can't wait 8)

Oh yeah! I also had to update my rig, because the old war horse was having it's last breath already, R.I.P. Last weekend I bought a pile of parts with the help and tutoring of Asmodeus. Cost me a big penny and shed some tiers on to the cashier desk. Well what did we get:

i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
asus z87-k motherboard
2x4Gb DDR3 1600MHz memory
SSD and HDD hard drives and all kinds of necessary stuff u need for building it up and to fly me to the moon.

Today I tested H&G FPS part for the first time with these new goodies and the battle was like eye candy. I was like wwooooww is this real life? FPS was steady 80-110 something and
i felt like i was in heaven. At first I had problems with aiming, 'cause handling the gun felt different and I moved so smoothly. I caused terrible headache to Beggi and Tomaswittman, because I was able to out gun them so easily. No laggish or slow movements. I was the pew pew pew master of that battle even thou we lost :D

Here's Nicolas Cage trying to imitate my laugh after humiliating Beggi and Tomas:

Oh yeah it was worth every Euro and now I have a PC that is of this decade

Gratz Anssi!

He he I know how that feels, when you play at 10 15 fps and get used to that, everyone suddenly moves like snails when you get 80 fps.

It's like slicing with a hot knife through butter when you storm a CP :gunhoR:

15 posts Page 1 of 1