Test out your history knowledge or inform us on historical events.
2 posts Page 1 of 1

Before World War II, destroyers were light vessels with little endurance for unattended ocean operations; typically a number of destroyers and a single destroyer tender operated together. After the war, the advent of the guided missile allowed destroyers to take on the surface combatant roles previously filled by battleships and cruisers. This resulted in larger and more powerful guided missile destroyers more capable of independent operation.
Awww... the Fletcher Class Destroyers!!

I literally started playing World of Warships for the Fletcher and Gearing, however all the US destroyers are awesome to playing with in my opinion. Getting there, I'm at level 9 at the moment. I can paint my ships all kinds of camouflage now.

The Fletcher was just an awesome destroyer at the time and it really was a "tin-can" that packed a punch. It was fast, it had radar, it could throw a wall of steal in the air.

The Gearing class added the two 5 inch gun turrets and the Allen M. Sumner-class destroyers extended the mid-ship by like 14 feet. My father served on an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer when he was in the Navy. Those old ships really rocked in the water and your were definitely getting wet. Water was constantly flowing down the decks and p-ways.

The old destroyers was literally the reason why I chose a Guided-Missile Frigate when I was in the Navy, I wanted a small boy. They are about the same size, same size crew and packed a pretty good punch. The Arleigh Burke class destroyer are awesome, but they are really a platform for the Aegis radar system and they are a much bigger ship. You get to know everyone on a Frigate, it's a family. Plus, we were faster than the Destroyers and a lot more maneuverable. :)

2 posts Page 1 of 1